Monday, June 2

All Grown Up



Probably not too long after I bought this house, some birds starting making a nest on our front porch. It took them close to two years to get the nest built! And during different seasons, different birds would come and claim squatters rights and live there for a while. But last year Mommy & Daddy bird had some babies. Four in fact. And we watched them grow and eventually fly away. They are so amazing to watch! And they must be really good parents, because this year they came back and had four more babies!! Our real estate agent tried to get us to take down the nest before we listed the house, but I had to politely refuse. How could I take down their four year old house that had four babies inside?!?! Not an option. Just yesterday all four babies took flight. They are so cute, I get distracted everytime I walk by the window, I have to peek out and check on them. The babies still come back to rest during the day, and the whole family (Mom, Dad & all four babies) come back and sleep at night. Mom & Dad stay on the ledge next to the nest and the babies squeeze in together. It just amazes me at what good parents these birds are. I'm kind of sad that soon the babies won't need to come back anymore, as they will all go out and make new houses for their own families. Perhaps at least one will fly five miles up the road to our new house!

1 comment:

Scatter Sunshine said...

How sweet! Ahhhh, the circle of life. You will just have to get a neat little bird house for your new yard so a new family settle in with you.